ETOBICOKE, ON: The Humber Hawks women's volleyball team will return to OCAA regular season play on Thursday, January 10/19, as the Sheridan Bruins will pay a visit to the Humber Athletic Centre.
THE MATCH UP
Sheridan "BRUINS (4-5, 6th West) @ Humber "HAWKS" (7-2, 3rd West)
Thursday, January 10/19
Humber Athletic Centre – Etobicoke
Free Admission – Free parking (after 5:00 pm)
REGULAR SEASON HISTORY VS SHERIDAN
Humber is 42-1 in all-time regular season match-ups with Sheridan, with their only loss coming in 1991, in the team's third match of all-time. After that loss, the Hawks have won 40 straight games, and have only seen two matches go to five-sets.
LAST TIME OUT VS SHERIDAN
The two teams last met on November 21st at Sheridan, with Humber sweeping the match in three straight sets (26-24, 25-16, 25-13). The Hawks placed three players in double figures on the evening, led by Alex Krstonosic and her 13 points (9K, 4B). Hayley Henderson kicked in 12 points (9K, 3B), while freshman Rossella Falcomer pitched in with 10 points (7K, 2A, 1B). Setter Alex Bartman dished out 27 assists, while Kyla Wilkins led the defence with 10 digs. No Bruin got into double figures, as Tamia Cooper-Evelyn led the team with 8 points, all kills.
- After a hot start at 4-1, the Bruins have cooled off and are in the midst of a four game losing streak
- With 8 of the 10 West Division teams advancing to the play-offs, Sheridan is comfortably in apposition to advance, but they are looking to move up and hopefully be in a position to host a cross-over playoff game
- Statistically, they sit in the middle of the pack of most team categories, topping out in the fifth spot in blocks per set average (1.66), but drop all the way to 14th in total attacks and 12th in digs
BRUINS – BY THE NUMBERS
- Points per Set Average – Tara Aune, Tamia Cooper-Evelyn (2.9)
- Kills – Tara Aune (69)
- Assists – Celine Blanchette (162)
- Service Aces – Celine Blanchette, Rachel Abrahams (14)
- Digs – Sydney Romans (98)
- Blocks – Katelyn Long (19)
- Humber needs a strong second half and some help if they want to move up in the standings and acquire a stronger seeding heading into the playoffs
- The Hawks have not lost more than two matches in a regular season since the 2000-01 season, and have only lost two games in a season four times in the last 18 seasons
- Humber went 3-2 at the Humber Cup Invitational during the holiday break, defeating Cegep Laurandeau and Nipissing University, while dropping matches to the University of Windsor, York University and Cegep Monpetit
- As a team, the Hawk rank in the top half of most categories, topping out at number one in digs (458) and digs per set (15.79), and falling off considerably in blocks and blocks per set (12th) and service aces (12th)
HAWKS – BY THE NUMBERS
- Points per Set Average – Alex Krstonosic (3.0)
- Kills – Julia Watson (61)
- Assists – Alex Bartman (168)
- Service Aces – Alex Bartman (18)
- Digs – Kyla Wilkins (115)
- Blocks – Alex Krstonosic (12)
- Head Coach Chris Wilkins continues to add onto his all-time Hawks coaching wins record, and not sits with 348 victories
- Kyla Wilkins has taken over as Humber's all-time digs leader, and checks in with 527. She has also jumped into first all-time in career digs per set average, at 2.83. And, has surpassed Jolande Amoraal in single season assist per game mark of 3.81, now on a pace of 4.11 digs per set mark.
WATCH LIVE ON HSN
As with all Humber Hawk home games, you can catch all of the action "LIVE" on the Hawks Sports Network (HSN) – CLICK HERE!