Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer


Recap by Aideena Wickstrom

Windsor, ON: The Humber Hawks Mens Volleyball welcomed the St. Clair Saints to the Hawk Nest on January 12th for the second OCAA game of the 2019 season. 

Gaining an early four point lead in the opening set against the Saints, the Hawks wasted no time in asserting their dominance on the court. With electric kills from Collin Skanes and Andrew Blakey from the middle position, the Saints were given no breaks. The Hawks continued to fly above St. Clair as they seemed to fall on the wrong end of most rallies. Humber's endurance throughout these rallies exhibited the Hawks growing potential towards the remainder of the season. With kill after kill drilled down onto St. Clair's court, they fell deeper and deeper into a deficit. The Hawks remained to take advantage and build off this, quickly ending the second set at 25-14. 

Point for point, the Hawks had no more than a lead of 3 for the majority of the second set. Each rally continued to last longer and longer, as both teams seemed to be depleted of energy. This finally began to turn around once John Obi re-entered the front court, where he slammed down multiple kills and put up countless blocks. The Saints were unsure of how to stop him as they began to fall further from the Hawks score. St. Clair began to make unforced errors as they started playing more timid against the Hawks. This worked in Humber's favor, as they were seamlessly able to rack up multiple points per rotation. The Hawks continued to play their A game as they finalized the second set at 25-18. 

The Hawks flew into the third set, dominating the Saints with a quick 10-5 advantage. Forced to take a time out before their team was able to hit 10 points, the Hawks definitely made a statement to the Saints. After the time out, the Hawks continued to fly over St.Clair. With countless assists by starting setter Jake Gomes, the Saints were unable to keep up. The Hawks continued to trample over their opponents as Jaskarn Kalsi hit the service line and carried the Hawks with a seven point serving run. Unable to find a way to aggressively return the ball to the Hawks, the Saints slowly fell into an unbeatable hole. At 17-9, the Saints had nearly checked out of the game mentally. The Hawks built off this though, finding a way to quickly put down point after point, and ending the set within twenty minutes. The final score was 25-13. 

Lead scorers in this match were Rrezart Sadiku and Kamyn Wilkins with 7 kills each. Coach Wayne Wilkins also got one win closer to beating his brother, Chris Wilkins, as most 'winningest coach' in Humber History. He is now only 6 wins behind. 


The Hawks will travel to Ancaster on Wednesday, January 16th, to play against the Redeemer Royals.