Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer



Recap by Aideena Wickstrom

OAKVILLE, ON: The Humber Hawks entered the Bruins den on Wednesday night and came away unscathed by way of a 3-0 (25-16, 25-22, 25-22) win. With the victory, the Hawks 2018 regular season record improves to a perfect 6-0 on the season.

In the first set, the Hawks wasted no time in taking a five point lead. Determined to make an impactful first impression, the Humber team played a stubborn defence. Creating a wall-like block at the net, Collin Skanes and Rafael Hilário denied access into the Humber court. This greatly deterred the Bruins as they fell deeper into a deficit. The final score was 25-16.

Collin Skanes opened the second set with a huge kill from the middle, asserting the Hawks resilience to keep the momentum on their side. Following this, the Bruins seemed to be more on their toes. They kept up with Humber, staying only a point behind them at a time. After Andrew Blakey shoved an electric kill onto the Bruins court, the Hawks began to pull away with a three point lead. Not wanting to let the Hawks fly away from them, the Sheridan coach called the first timeout of the set. Coming back into the game, Sheridan caught back up and tied up the score at 19-19. As both teams continued to push back and forth, the Hawks were more efficient in forcing points. The final set score was 25-22.

The third set resembled the second in that both teams were head to head for the lead on many occasions. With Humber determined to finish the match, and Sheridan determined to stay alive, the court was overflowing with energy. Rookie Rafael Hilário had a huge kill out of the right side, which handed Humber massive momentum. The Hawks stole a four point lead as they continued to crush balls onto the Bruins court, but slowly let the lead go. This was due to a serving run by the Bruins, including four aces in a row. The Hawks seemed unable to receive the serve properly, and were only saved due to a lucky tool off the block by Kamyn Wilkins. Now 19-19, both teams continued to fight for the lead. The atmosphere in the gym was ecstatic as Humber once again set up a wall at the net. Refusing entry, the Hawks were triple blocking the Bruins in an attempt to end their offense ability. This proved to work efficiently as the Hawks gained a late lead of 23-21 and Sheridan called a timeout. Humber finished off the set with an impressive block by Rafael Hilário. Final score was 25-22.


After a successful match and extending their streak, the men's volleyball team is gearing up to take on possibly their biggest competition of the season, the Fanshawe Falcons. The game will take place this Saturday, November 24th at 8:00pm in the Humber Hawk North Campus gym.