Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer



LONDON, ON: The Humber Hawks men's baseball team confirmed their spot in the OCAA Final Four championship tournament, by way of a 6-3 and 9-5 sweep of London's Fanshawe Falcons. This marked Humber's ninth win in their last ten games.

With the victories, Humber's second sweep of the Falcons in just over a week, moves the Hawks season record to 10-6 on the year. Fanshawe drops to 7-7.

Humber jumped out to a quick 1-0 lead in game one by way of a pair of doubles off the bats of Mitch Wilbur and Brandon Manley. The host Falcons evened the score in the fourth, but at that point the Hawks had outhit Fanshawe 5-1.

Over the next two innings, Humber tacked on three more, with one in the fifth and another two in the fifth. Fanshawe responded with two of their own in the fifth, the second coming via a bases loaded hit by pitch.

The resilient Hawks came right back with two to restore the three run lead. Keegan Murphy drilled a two-out triple in the inning. The Falcons were able to get a base runner as far as second base in the bottom of the last frame, but were unable to push a run across.

Tyler Greenwood secured the win with a solid four-hit, complete game. Although pitching very well this year, this was Tyler's first victory.

The hitting stars for Humber were Keegan Murphy with three hits and Ken Hahnfield with two. In total, the Hawks out up eleven hits.

The Hawks came out flying in game two. They had three hits in the first inning and pushed a run across. In the second inning they exploded, and batted around. They tacked on another five runs, for a 6-0 lead after two swings. By the end of the second, Humber had recorded 10 hits.

Humber continued the onslaught in the third and saw the scoreboard count increase to 8-0 in their favour. After putting up a crooked number in the third, the teams ping-ponged back and forth, with the Hawks holding a 9-2 lead after four complete.

Fanshawe continued to chip away, and forced Hawk starter from the game in the fifth. Although they left two on base, the Falcons scored three to cut the lead to 9-5.

The Hawks were unable to score over the last three innings, but they continued to put hits up on the board, finishing with a season high 17. A trio of Hawks recorded three hits in the game. Andrew Thomson, Mitch Wilbur and Chase Cornelisse were the hitting stars. Wilbur joined Ken Hanfield and  Keegan Murphy with two RBI's each.

Andrew Blakey got credit for the win, while Tyler Greenwood secured the save. This was a very good night for Greenwood as he had a hand in both wins.

The Hawks will be back on the field Wednesday night in doubleheader action with George Brown. Game times are 5:30 pm and 7:30 pm, and will be played at Humber's Connorvale Park.