Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer



ETOBICOKE, ON:  On a gorgeous afternoon at Connorvale Park, the Humber Hawks baseball (2-5, 4th OCAA) team split their doubleheader with the Durham Lords (5-3, 3rd OCAA).

The Hawks were looking to turn their season around, which so far has seen their bats stay relatively quiet.  In game one, much was the same for Humber's offence, as Durham's Alec Brown was able to prevent the Hawks from manufacturing multiple scoring opportunities.

With the offence struggling, the Hawks turned to their big righty Rory Pollard (Orangeville), hoping he could continue his dominance to begin his freshman career.  The hard throwing pitcher did just that, holding the Lords to three hits with eight strikeouts in seven innings of work.

Despite Pollard's brilliant start, the game went in to extra innings tied 0-0.  In the eighth, the Lords scored three runs and won the game 3-1.

Getting his first start of the season, first baseman Mitch Wilbur (Courtice) paced the way for the Hawks offensively, finishing with three hits and drove in the Hawks only run.

With their losing streak at a season-high five games, the Hawks were desperate to win game two.  After a quiet first inning, Hawks veteran catcher Blake Kauer (Mississauga) opened the flood gates in the second inning when he drove in two runs with the bases loaded.  From there, the Hawks continued to get hits, finishing with six runs in the second frame.

The Hawks cruised through the game until the seventh inning, where the Lords came storming back by scoring five runs to tie the game at six.

In an attempt to wake up the Humber offence, assistant coach Matthew Ferreira knocked over all of the team bats hoping to cause a rally.

His superstitious ploy seemed to do the trick, as the Hawks rallied in the seventh to earn the walk-off win.  Infielder Keegan Murphy (Brampton) reached base to begin the home half of the seventh inning, eventually reaching third on a wild pitch and sacrifice bunt from Matt Stoddart (Mississauga).  With two outs, freshman Aaron Arbic-Cohen (Georgetown) came through with a single to win the game for Humber 7-6.

Arbic-Cohen finished the game with three hits and two RBI's.

Tyler Greenwood (Mississauga), who spun a gem in his last start at home, started game two for the Hawks and came away with a no-decision.  The Journalism major went five strong innings and only allowed one run on six hits while striking out a career-high eight batters.

The Hawks will now head on the road Monday to finish up their road series with the George Brown Huskies (0-6, 6th OCAA).  Game one will be a continuation of their first meeting which was suspended after seven innings tied at one.