Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer



ETOBICOKE, ON: The Humber Hawks men's baseball team have come together after a rough start to the season, and now have won six straight by way of a doubleheader sweep over the George Brown Huskies.

The doubleheader was unique, as the first game was the completion of a suspended game on day one of the season, while the second was a traditional scheduled game.

The two teams were deadlocked in a 1-1 tie when the permit expired back in the beginning of September. George Brown saw their starting pitcher Andrew Murrell break up Daniel Cirillo's no hitter, and then steal home to tie the game in the seventh. 

The resumption of the game, which was played at Humber's home park, had Humber leading off the eighth as George Brown was the home team. Humber quickly loaded the bases by way of a walk and two infield singles. Brandon Manley then stepped up and drilled a two base hit to break the deadlock. The top ended with Humber only scoring those two runs, and led 3-1.

Hawk hurler Daniel Cirillo picked up where he left off a few weeks earlier, and quickly put an end to the game. He did pick up a strikeout, which turned out to be his thirteenth of the game. 

The second game started soon after the completion of the suspended game, and it was Cirillo back on the mound for the Hawks. Humber left no question in this game, as they ran out to a quick 4-0 lead in the first. Keegan Murphy provided the key hit with his bases clearing triple. He was then knocked in via a Brandon Costa groundout.

The rest of the scoring came by way of a Andrew Thomson inside-the-park three run home run. Thomson was just named the OCAA Men's Baseball player of the week. On Saturday against Fanshawe, he hit a walk off grand slam.

Daniel Cirillo was credited with the unusual double victory as the starter for both games.

With the wins, the Hawks record increases to a seasons best 7-5.

Humber will host St. Clair on Sunday, October 9, with games at 1:00 pm and 3:00 pm. The games, which will be played at Connorvale Park, are to make up  for the rained out games this past Sunday.