ETOBICOKE, ON: This coming Thursday night at the Humber Athletic Centre, the Humber Hawks will host the Niagara Knights. The game matches up two of the top ranked teams in the country, as the Hawks check in at number two, while the visiting Knights currently sit at number eleven.
THE MATCH UPS
Thursday, January 26/17
Humber Hawks (Etobicoke) vs Niagara Knights (Welland)
12-0, 1st West 11-1, 2nd West
Humber Athletic Centre – North Campus
LAST TIME OUT VS NIAGARA
Humber took the match in Welland by a score of 3-1 (25-13, 24-26, 26-24, 25-20). After a relatively easy first set, the visiting Hawks were challenged the rest of the way by a solid Niagara squad. In fact, the second set loss was the first by the Hawks and only one of two all season. The third set saw the Knights up in the twenties, but Humber responded to take the set in extra points. The fourth and final set had the Hawks up and in control almost the entire way.
- The Knights, as mentioned above, check in a record of 11-1, and are currently on a run of six straight wins
- They are coming of a four set win at home this past weekend over the St. Clair Saints, which was a match-up of the second and third place teams in the West
- Niagara, as a team, rank high in almost every statistical category
- The Knights boast a very explosive and well balanced attack. Four players check in with averages of above the 3.10 mark, led by Jordan Koslowski and her 3.9 pps average
- Setter Bailey Davis leads the entire league in assists, with 317
- Humber is coming off a weekend sweep over Boreal and Cambrian. The first was a quick affair, and the second a bit more troublesome. Coming off an easy match just hours earlier, the Hawks got off to a slow start but came from 1-0 down to win the next three
- Veteran Devan O'Connor continues to hold steady as the number two offensive threat in the entire league. Currently, O'Connor checks in with an average of 4.3 points per set, based on 103 kills, 23 aces and 11 blocks. Her hitting percentage of .421 is the league's second best
- Sickness that had gone through the Humber community hampered the Hawks lineup on the weekend, but all players should be well and ready to go on Thursday
- Humber leads the entire league with a hitting percentage of .339, and service aces per set at 3.54
- Setter Gabie Miletic checks in with 245 assists (8th), and an average of 7.21 assists per set (4th)
- Humber is 22-0 all-time in regular season matches versus Niagara
HAWKS HISTORY WATCH
- Adding in the Hawks 10-0 record in the 2016/17 season, they are currently on a run of 121 straight OCAA league and play-off wins
- With her 20 blocks in the first ten games, middle Alexandra Newman moved up to fourth all-time for the Hawks, and now sits just 21 blocks away from reaching number 3
- Devan O'Connor's current mark of 3.27 kills per set has vaulted her up to the 2nd best all time for a single season for Hawk players. Legend Christine Rudics (4.17 in 97/98) had carried four of the top five spots, including the top three.
- As will all Hawks home games, you can watch the game "LIVE" on the Hawks Sports Network, by clicking HERE