ETOBICOKE, ON: The Humber Hawks men's volleyball team (2-2, 5th West) return home for the first time since the season opener on October 26, as they will entertain the Conestoga Condors (2-3, 6th West) on Wednesday.
Humber "HAWKS" vs Conestoga "CONDORS"
Wednesday, November 15/17
Approx. 8:00 pm (30 minutes after conclusion of women's game)
Humber Athletic Centre – Etobicoke
LAST TIME OUT VS CONESTOGA
Humber and Conestoga fought "tooth and nail" through five sets before Humber prevailed 15-13 in the fifth and deciding set on the Condors home court in Kitchener. The big two from Humber were once again the hitting stars on the night, as Clayton Blanchette and Alex Gibbs scored 27 and 19 points, respectively. Conestoga had three players register nights in offensive double figures.
- Humber is a perfect 14-0 against Conestoga in league play. The Condors have only been able to win 6 of the 48 sets played
- They finished 6-12 last year, and out of the playoffs
- The team is veteran squad, boasting 10 returning players and 6 freshman
- Leading scorer from the 2016-17 season Wesley Lau returns, and brings his 3.8 points per set average with him. Lau continues to be the "go-to" player on the Condors and checks in with a mark of 4.1 pps so far this season
- Conestoga continues to have strong leadership on the bench, as Wayne Harris returns to the helm again
- The Hawks, after losing back-to-back road games a week ago, have had a number of players return from sick bay and this fact paid huge dividends right away, as the Hawks went into Hamilton and defeated the defending OCAA champs in four sets
- Despite the 2-2 record, Humber checks in as the third top ranked team in the OCAA this week
- Clayton Blanchette continues to lead the Hawks offensively with his 3.8 pps average. Kamyn Wilkins, after a superb effort last week, has saw his average push above the 3.0 mark, and it settles in at 3.2 pps. Look for Dylan Devecseri to rise quickly, as he returned to the line-up for his first game on Friday
- Service aces, which the Hawks were at or near the top all of last season, has not gained momentum yet, and sits 14th in the league at only 1.12 service aces per set
- Head Coach Wayne Wilkins is just two wins away from usurping Katz as number two all-time, an accomplishment he is sure to find this season. Brother Chris of the Hawks women's team leads the way with 321 wins
- Clayton Blanchette is the only player of note that is moving up steadily through the all-time lists for the Hawks. He already appears in the top five of all-time "per set averages – points, kills, aces. And, he is certainly in line to move into the top five of career points and kills, and may move up from his fourth spot in service aces
The game will be "live-streamed" on the Hawks Sports Network – HSN1.
CLICK HERE for the link.
NOTABLE SOCIAL MEDIA SITES
Humber Athletics Website
Humber Men's Volleyball Website