SUDBURY, Ont – Sparked by its tenacious offence in the second half, Humber men's soccer raced past Cambrian, 4-0, Saturday evening to open the 2018 varsity campaign.
Despite a dominant first half by Humber, where the Hawks outshot the Golden Shield, the score was deadlocked at zero after 45 minutes of play.
Humber stretched its lead to two off a corner kick in the 75th minute after Cambrian scored an own goal.
Third-year forward Tomasz Balicki iced the match for the Hawks in the dying minutes, recording tallies in the 85th and 87th minutes.
After spending a year playing in Sweden, two-time national champion Karman Singh returned between the posts for Humber, playing all 90 minutes and recording the clean sheet.
- Since 2016, Singh has started eight matches in regular action for the Hawks, recording eight wins and six clean sheets.
- Balicki's two goals were a career-high.
- The Hawks finished the match with 26 shots on goal.
- Ballhawk Luca Baldassarre recorded his 21st regular season goal for Humber, moving into a tie with teammate Jaineil Hoilett for sixth all-time at Humber.
- Humber extends its regular season unbeaten streak to 35-consecutive matches.
Humber will return to the Ontario Soccer Centre for its 2018 home opener against the UTM Eagles on Sept. 12. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m. and will be streamed live on the Hawks Sports Network.