Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer


Game story by Ronny Musikitele

The GAME delivered once again!

When these two teams battle, it is "must see" TV! On Wednesday night at the Humber Athletic Centre, Humber and Sheridan gave a clear indicator why this match-up is the premiere game in college sport across the country.

In a continuation of their hot start to the 2018/19 season, the Hawks knocked off the Bruins by a score of 81-78 in front of capacity crowd of close to 1200 avid spectators. With the win, the eighth ranked Hawks see their season record improve to 5-0 on the season, while the number five ranked Sheridan squad fall to 3-2. This result could see a significant change in the upcoming national rankings next week.

This was a night of celebration.

With this being the 120th meeting of these two storied programs, every game becomes a celebration when you win, especially at home in front of your faithful. New Hawks head coach Samson Downey also had a reason to celebrate, as his birthday wish came true by beating his biggest rival in his first meeting against the Bruins as the head man.

The level of physicality and intensity in this contest kept the fans on their feet all game long. There is respect, but certainly no love lost between the two teams when they take to the court. Although it was an early season affair, both teams shared an energy similar to a playoff game. 

The beginning of the game was ruled by the Hawks. Fowzi Mohamoud began a three point barrage for the Hawks early in the game, helping the Hawks jump out to a 22-12 lead to end the first quarter.

As if the crowd was not enough to peak a rise of the temperature in the building, things started to heat-up on the court in the second quarter. After a hard foul, Hawk veteran DeQuon Cascart was hit with a technical foul for his response. The call on DQ spurred the Bruins on to make a run and bring the deficit down to single digits.

Enter Kevin Otoo.

Shortly after, rookie sensation Kevin Otoo had a monster two-handed slam that got the Humber crowd get off their seats. His extended stay on the rim almost induced Humber's second technical in just over a minute. Despite the energy boost, the Hawks went into halftime with a 37-34 lead.

Bruins star Nick Campbell did all he can to help his team complete a stunning comeback. The Bruins took their only lead of the night in the fourth by way of a long 3-pointer, but the lead lasted only 10 seconds. 

With 6:00 left in the game, Kevin Otoo quickly responded with another three to his credit to tie the game 60-60. Just as he did with his earlier dunk, this three-ball made the crowd erupt, and everyone in the crowd were ready for a classic finish.

During the Hawks time-out, team captain DeQuon Cascart was seen telling his teammates to pick up the energy and this helped the squad get fired up. DQ and Jaylan Morgan hit two big threes to stretch the lead to 7 with 4:00 left. Sheridan responded and brought the game down to three with 2:00 remaining, but the resilient Hawks made their shots down the stretch, not allowing the Bruins make the match a one-possession game the rest of the way.

With the game salted away in the Hawks favour, the Bruins hit a long three from centre as the final buzzer sounded. As with the adage heard often in sport circles, it was too little, too late.

Humber had three players in double digits on the night, led by Fowzi Mohaoud's 19. Jaylan Morgan and Curwin Elvis were just points behind, hitting for 18 and 17 points, respectively. As mentioned above, Sheridan's Nick Campbell was a star all night and finished with a game high 30 points. Kahleek Bakari kicked in 16, while Jemol Edwards hit for 12.

Humber will hit the road for their next two games, with the first being a tilt at Kitchener against the Conestoga Condors next Wednesday night.