ETOBICOKE, ON: The Humber Hawks women's volleyball team will host the team that took them to the brink earlier in the season, that being the Mohawk Mountaineers from Hamilton on Friday night at the Humber Athletic Centre.
THE MATCH UP
Mohawk "MOUNTAINEERS" @ Humber "HAWKS"
7-4, 5th West 12-0, 1st West
Friday, January 26/18
Humber Athletic Centre – Etobicoke
LAST TIME OUT
The Humber Hawks made short work out of the 1-12 Conestoga Condors on the road at Kitchener this past Sunday. Humber won in three straight sets (25-13, 25-16, 25-7). Brynne Coleman-Spence led the Hawks for the second consecutive game, scoring 12 points on the night. Danielle Miles chipped in with 10.
LAST TIME OUT VS MOHAWK
Humber had to fight back from a 2-0 (21-25, 21-25) set deficit, and were even down 17-12 in the third set before rallying for three straight-set wins (25-20, 25-22, 15-13) to take the match 3-2. Four Hawks scored in double figures, but it was the effort by sophomore Breanna Golding that was the highlight of the night. She scored a season-high 24 points, based on another season high in kills (19), two service aces and three blocks. Devan O'Connor (17 points), Brynne Spence-Coleman (13 points) and Nicole Collard (13) were big contributors to the win. Mohawk also had solid contributors, led by 22 points from Lindsay Vanderweide.
- Mohawk has only one win in the thirty regular season games against Humber, including 0-16 at the Humber Athletic Centre
- The Mountaineers rank high at or near the top every team category, including first in blocks and blocks per set. If there is any drop-off, it is from the service line, where they stand 15th among the league's 20 teams
- They boast a trifecta of outstanding offensive talents, with three players scoring above the 3.5 points per set mark. Lindsay Vanderweide leads the way at 3.9 pps. Danielle Kamps and Jessica Heidbuurt fill the next two spots at 3.6 and 3.5 points per set, respectively
- Amanda Kuiper is the setter of choice, and she leads the entire league with an average of 8.81 assists per set
- With a mark of 12-0 on the season, they have extended their OCAA league and play-off winning streak to 145 games
- Humber is among the league leaders in every category, and lead the entire league in hitting percentage and aces per set
- Breanna Golding is the offensive star for the Hawks, checking in with a mark of 4.5 pps. Decan O'Connor and Jasmine Lougheed provide a strong supporting cast at 3.3 and 3.0 points per set average
- Brynne Spence-Coleman has been a shining star, and her efforts in leading the team in scoring over the past games has lifted her average to 2.7 pps
- The setting duties have been shared by Celine Blanchette and Alex Bartman. The two have combined for 353 assista on the season
- Head coach Chris Wilkins continues to set all-time Humber coaching marks with every victory, a mark that has now reached 329
- Devan O'Connor is the highest-ranking active Hawk in career points, with 371, and this places her 14th on the all-time Hawk list. Breanna Golding, who checks in at 308 points in just a year and a half of play, is in a position to move up the ranks quickly
You can watch the game "LIVE" on the Hawks Sports Network – HSN