Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer



The Men's Basketball Team opened the Provincial Championship on Friday afternoon, taking on Lambton in what would be a crazy OCAA Quarter-Final.

The Hawks defense opened aggressively, as Gibson Eduful and Tyrone Dickson came away with back-to-back steals they converted into fast break layups. When Humber wasn't scoring the ball pushing the tempo, they struggled in the half court. Lambton jumped out to a 13-6 lead thanks to some tough makes on the perimeter. A Trey Langford three stretched the Lions lead to thirteen, and despite continued highly contested looks Lambton kept making jumpers. Mike Lucier hit his second three of the quarter, and after ten Humber found themselves trailing 25-12; Lambton shot 71 percent in the first.

Curwin Elvis opened the second with a triple, but Shawn Hill answered with one of his own to stretch the advantage to sixteen. After a back-and-forth few minutes, it was the blue and gold's work down low that began to trim the deficit. A Vule Grujic tip-in off an offensive board was followed by a Lambton turnover and had them calling their first timeout of the afternoon. Out of the break Ty Dickson continued Humber's work on the glass, as his board resulted in a trip to the line. A great full court pass from Dickson to Elvis gave Humber an easy deuce, and the lead was cut to 39-25. Curwin Elvis drained a three from the corner that was followed by a fast break bucket from Junior Davis, and at half the deficit sat at thirteen.

Humber came out firing to start the second half – Brayden Gohn hit a triple from dead on, and a lay-in from Dickson cut the lead to eight. A melee under the next result in a technical on Lambton's Brandon Padgett, and the momentum seemed to be swinging Humber's way. Dickson's third foul, a questionable call under the basket, resulted in him coming out with five minutes to go in the quarter. After a mini-run put the Hawks down fifteen with just over two minutes remaining in the third, they went on a critical 5-0 run to end the third to pull within ten, 57-47.

Matthew Bukovec hit a three that was followed in short succession by a Junior Davis bucket the rim to start the fourth, and Lambton's lead was nine. The Lions second technical foul of the afternoon resulted in a made free throw from Bukovec, and had Lambton calling for time. Ancil Martin slid down the baseline for two, and some great ball movement led to a good look for Chad Bewley from beyond the arc that narrowly lipped out. Junior Davis hit what appeared to be a three but was called a two, and another Gibson Eduful triple trimmed the lead to seven. Davis made a great steal on the perimeter, and was fouled hard on the other end down eight. Time was running low as it appeared the Hawks slow start may have been just too much to overcome.

With just over a minute remaining and down six, Dickson finished at the rim with the foul and hit from the stripe. Junior Davis would make a huge defensive play in taking a charge, but after Lambton split a pair with just twelve seconds to go Humber was down to their last chance.

Racing down the court, Ancil Martin put up a three for the win. As the ball sailed through the air it became clear it would fall short, but as he has all year, Dickson outhustled everyone to grab the ball and lay in it as time expired. The Hawks had new life.

Midway through overtime, Eduful nabbed another steal and finished at the rim. Dickson grabbed yet another offensive board and finished, giving the Hawks an 80-79 advantage. After a Lambton lay in Eduful made yet another huge play, drilling a three for a two point advantage. A great defensive effort led to a Lambton turnover, and with 28 seconds left the Hawks held a slim two point lead. A jumper bounced off the rim, and Davis was called for a questionable foul with just 3.7 seconds to go. Trey Langford calmly drained the first, but his second attempt lipped out and Dickson grabbed the board. As the buzzer went, Humber had held on for the incredible 83-82 win.

Dickson was named Player of the Game for his dominant 18 point, 15 rebound performance. Next up for the Hawks is tomorrow's Semi-Final match-up scheduled for 6pm, where they will take on the winner of Fanshawe-Georgian looking to carry the momentum from the incredible win.

For the official Tournament site, please visit

For live-streaming of all games please visit