ETOBICOKE, ON: The Humber Hawks women's volleyball team, winners of the last ten straight OCAA Provincial titles, will begin the quest for number eleven this coming Thursday. The Hawks will host the Redeemer Royals at the Humber Athletic Centre, with the opening serve set for 6:00 pm.
THE MATCH UP
Humber "Hawks" vs Redeemer "Royals"
Thursday, October 26/17
Humber Athletic Centre
LAST TIME OUT VS REDEEMER
The Hawks won in three straight sets, with only the second set seeing the visiting Royals climb above the 20 point mark. Charlene DeVries was the only Redeemer player to obtain double figures, finishing with 11 points on 7 kills, 2 service aces and 2 stuff blocks. As with the Royals, Humber had a single player score in above the 10-point mark, as Devan O'Connor scored 11. Breanna Golding and Elizabeth Deakin-Poot kicked in nine points each.
Humber is 23-0 all-time against the Royals.
- The Royals lose their star player in Charlene DeVries, as she completed her career last season. They do have an experienced squad, as eight players have had previous OCAA experience.
- Fifth year player Rebekah Oosterhof, who returns for her fifth year, was second in team scoring with a mark of 2.3 points per set
- Redeemer suffered through one of their poorest seasons in recent memory last year, finishing out of the play-offs with a record of 6-12
- Results from Redeemer's play in the pre-season were not available
- As mentioned above, Humber has won ten consecutive OCAA crowns and carries a provincial (league and play-off game) streak of 130 straight victories
- Humber returns a number of key players to the line-up, including leading scorers Devan O'Connor (4.0 pps) and Breanna Golding (3.8 pps). All in all, the Hawks return eight players from the 2016/17 team
- Look for some high flying recruits, led by Jasmine Lougheed who has had previous high-level post-secondary experience
- The Hawks have played a very competitive and extensive pre-season schedule. They finished with a mark of 11-3, with three impressive wins in Quebec against top RSEQ squads
- Humber's head coach Chris Wilkins is narrowing in on the all-time Hawks coaching win list, as he and his brother Wayne – Hawks men's coach, are within a handful of wins in taking over the lead from the legendary Humber men's basketball coach Mike Katz
- Devan O'Connor has been climbing the all-time scoring list, and should appear in the top 10 by season's end
Catch this game, and all Humber home games on HSN – Hawks Sports Network. Thursday's game will be found on HSN2. For the link, CLICK HERE
NOTABLE SOCIAL MEDIA SITES
Humber Athletics Website
Humber Women's Volleyball Website