ETOBICOKE, ON: The Humber Hawks women's soccer team cleared their first hurdle in fine fashion by way of 5-0 season opening road win against the Central Division's second best team from 2018 in the Cambrian Golden Shield. They return to the Vaughan Grove pitch on Wednesday afternoon for their home opener against the University of Toronto –Mississauga (UTM) Eagles.
THE MATCH UP
Humber "Hawks" vs UTM "Eagles"
1-0, 1st Central 0-0, season opener
Vaughan Grove Park – Vaughan, ON
LAST TIME OUT VS UTM
The two teams met to open the season last year, and then met just ten days later to conclude the home and away series. After a 9-0 shellacking in the opener at UTM, the second match was closer on the Hawks turf, but still resulted in a 5-0 whitewash by the Hawks. The Hawks had five players join in on the scoring, and outshot the visitors 12 to 5 on the night. Humber went on to a perfect 10-0 record, while the Eagles placed last in the Central, at 1-9.
- The Eagles have struggled since their OCAA debut in 2015, amassing a record of 1-26-3 over the three years of play
- Their first ever win came in their last game of the 2017 season, a 3-1 home win over George Brown
- There is little information to base a 2018 scouting report, as they have yet to play a league game, and their 2018 roster has not been released
- Those who are expected to do the heavy lifting in terms of goal scoring for the Hawks this year, did just that in the opener in Sudbury. Rebecca Spratt had two, while Giulia Zanardi had one. Emily Tirabassi returned from an injury a year ago to contribute immediately with a goal. Transfer Nicole Lyon was a standout once again, and scored in her Humber debut
- Head Coaches Mauro Ongaro and Vince Pileggi, the only coaches the program has ever knew, are now in their 23rd season as head coaches. With Saturday's win, they are only 11 wins away from 200 career victories
- The Hawks play at Vaughan Grove, not their usual home at the OSA Centre, but still seconds away from each other
- After Saturday's games, Spratt and Zanardi have moved into the top ten (9th) of Hawks all-time scoring, with 14 markers each. Both players are in a position to move up as high as fourth by seasons end. They need five to hit the fourth spot, but are currently 21 away
- Based on the alternate venue for the game, there will be no live stream available.
- "live stats" will be found by going to the women's soccer schedule page