OAKVILLE, Ont – Claudia Piazza fired a deep free-kick over the defence in the 86th minute to give the Hawks the 2-1 win over Sheridan College (3-3, 4th Central), Saturday afternoon.
Midfielder Danielle Canhoto gave Humber (6-0, 1st Central) the early lead two minutes into the match after forcing a turnover deep in the Bruins zone.
In the 32nd minute, a long clearance by Cassidy Chantler took a big bounce off the turf, just out of the reach of Vanessa Fiore to tie the score at one.
Fighting to stay undefeated, the Hawks pressed the entire second half, rarely letting the ball cross midfield. Bruins keeper Savanna Wood turned away numerous scoring opportunities for the Hawks, while Sheridan stacked the box, playing for a draw.
- Piazza's goal was the first game-winner of her career at Humber.
- Vanessa Fiore recorded her sixth win of the season and the 11th of her career.
- Canhoto has scored the opening goal for the Hawks twice this season.
- Humber moves to 5-1-2 against Sheridan since 2012.
- The two goals scored was the lowest total by the Hawks this season.
- Six wins to open the season is the best start by Humber since it began the 2012 campaign 7-0.
- Head coaches Vince Pileggi and Mauro Ongaro now sit six wins away from 200 all-time victories.
Humber will begin its four-game homestand Wednesday, October 4 against Conestoga (2-3, 4th Central). Kick-off is set 6:30 p.m.