VAUGHAN, Ont -- Playing at home for the first time this season, the No. 7 Humber women's soccer (4-0, 1st Central) team scored a flurry of goals en route to shutting out the UTM Eagles (0-3, 6th Central), 5-0, on Wednesday at the Ontario Soccer Centre.
Coming out of the break Humber added to its lead after Zanardi made a nice pass to set up Rebecca Spratt's first goal of the season in the 47th minute. Shortly after, Shaniece Bennett flew by an Eagles defender to score her second goal of the season.
The Hawks continued to pressure UTM, taking 15 shots in the second half. Despite the best efforts from Eagles keeper Noor Aldoori, the Hawks added to their total in the 75th minute when Zanardi found Megan Voutour, who converted for her first goal of the season.
A long pass from freshman Dominika Philip in the 82nd minute sprung Zoe Longsworth for a breakaway, and the second-year forward found the back of the net for Humber's fifth goal of the match.
- Zanardi now leads the OCAA with nine goals in four matches this season, including three game-winners.
- Keeper Vanessa Fiore improves to 4-0 this season with two clean sheets. The Brampton native now has five shutouts in 11 career matches.
- Humber have scored 21 goals this season, six more than it had this time last year.
- Humber's 21 shots are a new season-high, surpassing its previous best of 17.
- Eagles keeper Aldoori made seven saves in her first start of the season.
Humber hits the road for a showdown with the George Brown Huskies (1-2, 4th Central) on September 27. Game time is set for 7 p.m.