SACKVILLE, NB -- Advancing to the CCAA national championship game, top-ranked Humber women's basketball pulled away from powerhouse Montmorency, 83-72, Friday evening at the McCormack Gymnasium.
The Hawks opened the game on a 13-0 run before the nine-time national champion Nomades began to chip away at the lead. Montmorency went on a run of its own, ending the quarter on a 16-3 run and led 22-21 after ten minutes of play.
Led by Andrea Torres, the Nomades kept the pressure on Humber, extending their lead to eight with 2:03 remaining in the half. Humber responded with 10-0 run to end the half, including two triples from Nofuente, to take a 39-37 advantage at the break.
Leticia Lopez was locked in from behind the arc, hitting three 3-pointers in the half to prevent the Nomades from gaining too much momentum.
Both teams exchanged baskets to begin the third quarter before Humber took a 14-0 run into the fourth stanza to take a 12-point lead with 9:17 remaining. Juliette Gauthier helped Montmorency trim Humber's lead to three but that was as close as the Nomades would get. Nofuente hit another triple and Aleena Domingo converted four-straight free throws to ice the game.
Leticia Lopez was named the player of the game for the Hawks, finishing with 15 points – all coming from behind the arc.
- Humber shot 41.8 percent (28-of-67) from the floor as a team.
- The Hawks converted 17-of-23 (73.9 percent) free throws – its second-highest total this season.
- Leticia Lopez tied her season-high with 15 points.
- Aleena Domingo recorded her fifth double-double of the postseason, finishing with 22 points and 14 rebounds.
- Humber has trailed by eight points for the second time at the tournament.
- The Hawks improve to 2-4 (.333) against Montmorency at the CCAA finals.
- Humber improves to 2-2 (.500) all-time in the semifinal round.
Humber returns to the national title game Mar. 17 for the second time in three years. The Hawks will play No. 2 Dawson with tip-off set for 7 p.m. EST (8 p.m. ADT).