A last-second shot from Ceejay Nofuente pushed Humber past MSVU, 71-69.
SACKVILLE, NB – Overcoming an eight-point deficit after the first quarter, top-ranked Humber women's basketball rallied in exciting fashion to down MSVU in the CCAA quarter-final game, 71-69. The win kept Humber's title hopes alive, advancing the Hawks to the national semifinal tomorrow evening.
Three-time national player of the year Ceejay Nofuente recorded a double-double, finishing with 23 points and 13 rebounds. She was joined by Aleena Domingo, who scored 18 points and grabbed a game-high 15 rebounds in the win. All-star Leticia Lopez finished with ten points, rounding out Humber's double-digit scorer's.
The Mystics opened the game with two quick buckets before Humber used a 6-0 run to take a short lead. MSVU responded with a 16-4 run to end the quarter and led 23-15 after ten minutes.
Behind Leticia Lopez, the Hawks were able to cut into MSVU's lead and trailed by two at the break.
Nofuente and Domingo took over in the second half, combining for 26 of the teams 36 total points.
The game seesawed throughout the final minutes when MSVU hit a corner 3-pointer to tie the game with 9.5 seconds remaining.
After a timeout from head coach Ajay Sharma, Nofuente took an inbound pass and hit a mid-range jump shot with 0.8 seconds left, securing the 71-69 win for Humber.
Ceejay Nofuente was named the player of the game for the Hawks.
- Humber finished +12 on the glass, grabbing 47 total rebounds.
- Ceejay Nofuente recorded her third career double-double at Nationals.
- Eight Humber players scored at least two points in the game.
- Humber trailed after 20 minutes of play for the first time this season.
- The Hawks improve to 2-0 against MSVU at the CCAA tournament.
- Humber improves to 4-6 (.400) in the quarter-final round.
- Humber extends its win streak to 27 consecutive games.
- Under head coach Ajay Sharma, the Hawks own a 9-3 (.750) record all-time at Nationals.
No. 1 Humber will play the winner of the Montmorency/St. Mary's quarter-final on Mar. 16. Tipoff is set for 5 p.m. EST (6 p.m. ADT).