ETOBICOKE, ON: The Humber Hawks men's volleyball team (7-2, 2nd West) will return to league action on Sunday afternoon at the Humber Athletic Centre, as they entertain Windsor's St. Clair Saints (5-4, 4th West).
The Hawks returned home from a series of holiday games in Chicago, and immediately went to play in the York Excalibur Tournament. The number of games and intensity in each one was gruelling, but it should set them up to come out strong in the second half of the OCAA season.
St. Clair "SAINTS" @ Humber "HAWKS"
Sunday, January 14/18
Approx. 3:00 pm (30 minutes after the conclusion of women's game)
Humber Athletic Centre - Etobicoke
LAST TIME OUT
Humber comfortably knocked off the last place and winless Boreal Vipers in three straight sets (25-18, 25-11, 25-17). Boreal has only won one set of the thirty-one they have played in this season. The Hawks had a season-high eleven players score on the night. Alex Bowden led the way with 11 points (6K, 4A, 1B). Top scorers Dylan Devecseri played only one set, while Clayton Blanchette did not dress for the game.
SCOUTING ST. CLAIR
- The Saints are 5-18 all-time in regular season play against the Hawks. But, it has been the Saints that have ruled lately, winning three straight and four of the last five matches
- They started strong, bursting out of the gate with three straight wins, including the one over Humber at home, but lost three in a row and four of the last six. They ended the first half with a 3-0 loss at Fanshawe
- As a team, St. Clair ranks fifth in kills per set (10.47), but drops to tenth or lower in most other categories
- Jared Niziolek and Manik Jandoria lead the way offensively for the saints, checking in at 3.2 and 3,0 points per set, respectively
- Joey Laporte has done most of the setting, and he has contributed 206 assists on the season
- Humber has been on a roll, winners of six straight to end the first half
- The Hawks come into play after a gruelling holiday season schedule which saw them play top American NCAA and Canadian University teams. Their results were not flattering, but they should be ready to go "full throttle" as the second half starts against OCAA teams
- As a team, they rank within the top ten of many categories, topping off at third in service aces per set (1.94)
- Dylan Devecseri leads the way offensively, checking in with an outstanding mark of 4.2 points per set which puts him in sixth overall in the OCAA. Kamyn Wilkins (3.4 pps) and Clayton Blanchette (3.0 pps provide a solid supporting group
- Humber is third in the league in assists (349) and fourth in assists per set (9.97). The setting is shared by Rady Kim (176) and Jake Gomes (99)
- Head coach Wayne Wilkins continues to chase his brother Chris for the most all-time Humber coaching victories. His mark currently sits at 322 win and 117 losses – a winning percentage of .733
- Clayton Blanchette continues to rise in all-time Humber Hawk career statistics, and should be in the top 5 of most categories by years end.
The game will be presented "LIVE" on HSN – Hawks Sports Network. Click "HERE" for the direct link to the game