ETOBICOKE, ON: The Humber Hawks men's volleyball team will take to the court on Saturday at the Humber Athletic Centre against the reigning number one ranked team in the nation, the Fanshawe Falcons.
THE MATCH UP
Humber Hawks vs Fanshawe Falcons
9-6, 4th West 13-1, 1st West
Saturday, February 4, 2017
30 minutes after the completion of the WVB 1:00 pm game
Humber Athletic Centre – Etobicoke
LAST TIME OUT VS FANSHAWE
Although the Hawks ran out to a quick 5-0 record to start the season, the true test would come in London against the defending champion Falcons. Humber started well and ran away with a convincing first set win, 25-18. Fanshawe responded quickly, and took the next three sets in succession, 25-14, 25-13, 25-19. League leading scorer Clayton Blanchette of the Hawks led both teams on the day with 28 points, which included 25 kills. James Jackson was tops on the Falcons, with 15 points, all coming via the kill.
- They are on an eight game winning streak, which includes a 3-0 whitewashing of Mohawk, the only team to beat them this season.
- Their strength lies in playing a complete game. This is indicated by their approach to team offence, as they are second in league assists per set (10.45) and third in kills per set (11.06)
- James Jackson is their 'go-to" player, and leads the team with an average of 4.6 points per set, which is good enough for second in the entire league
- They have utilized two setters, Sebastian Lethbridge and Jack Daley check in with 207 and 197 assists, respectively
- Humber is 15-15 all-time vs Fanshawe in regular season play.
- Clayton Blanchette is approaching and surpassing a number Terrel Bramwell – like numbers. He has moved into second place in a number of Hawks regular season records, including points, kills, points per set, kills per set. He also has moved into third all time in service aces
- Alex Gibbs's production has been outstanding all year, as he checks in with career highs in every category. His mark of 3.74 points per set is second on the Hawks 15th in the entire league
- Clayton Blanchette has eclipsed the 300 point mark in his season – now at 333, and is on pace to be first or second all-time at Humber. Blanchette has also moved up into the top three all-time at Humber in almost every offensive categoryHe will look to become the second Hawk in history to join the 300/300 club
- Blanchette is approaching the OCAA all-time record in points in a season. His 333 trails the leader's mark of 404
- Head Coach Wayne Wilkins currently sits in second place of all-time Hawk coaching wins with 312 victories, and only trails the overall leader Mike Katz (318) by six.
- As are all Hawks home games, you can watch the game "LIVE" on the Hawks Sports Network, by clicking HERE