|Game Info||Humber at Cambrian|
|Date||Sat. Sept. 8|
|Series Record||6-0-1 (.929)|
|Last Meeting||W, 4-0 (10/15/17)|
SUDBURY, Ont – The Humber men's soccer team is set to open the 2018 campaign with a road match against the Cambrian Golden Shield.
What to Know
- Humber led the OCAA in scoring in 2017 and returns four of its top five goal scorers including Luca Baldassarre, Jaineil Hoilett, Tomasz Balicki, and Bradley Fenton.
- The Hawks have won six consecutive regular-season matches against Cambrian, with their only draw happening in 1981.
- Behind the league's top defence, keeper Nick Frenati finished 2017 with a 5-0 record, recording four clean sheets.
The Return of the Champs
- Karman Saini returns to Humber after playing in Sweden during the 2017 season. In two seasons with the Hawks, Saini won two national championships and did not surrender a goal in six postseason games in 2016.
- Two-time national champion Jordan Piccinin will strap up his boots for Humber once again. Piccinin is currently tied for third all-time in CCAA goals for Humber with three.
- Defenceman Stavros Badunas returns to Humber after leading the Hawks to a 10-0-1 record in 2011, winning the programs seventh provincial title.
Last Time Out
On Oct. 15, 2017, the Hawks cruised to a 4-0 victory over the Golden Shield, winning the programs 200th OCAA regular season match. Humber veteran Michael Aigbokie scored his 30th career goal in the win, moving into second all-time on Humber's career scoring list.
All-Canadian Jaineil Hoilett and two-time Humber scoring champion Luca Baldassarre enter the 2018 season looking to make a major climb up Humber's career scoring list. Hoilett currently owns 21 career tallies (sixth all-time), while Baldassarre sits one spot back with 20 goals.
The Hawks have not lost an OCAA regular season match since Sept. 14, 2013 – a 1-0 loss to the Niagara Knights. Since, Humber owns a 34-match unbeaten streak, with a record of 30-0-4 during that span.
At the Helm
Michael Aquino, head coach for the Humber men's soccer program, enters his sixth season at the helm for the Hawks. Prior to the 2018 season, Coach Aquino has amassed a 63-3-4 (.929) overall record, including a 9-0 CCAA record with three national championships. In 2017, Coach Aquino was the recipient of the CCAAA Coaching Excellence award.
Humber will host its 31st home opener on Sept. 12 when the UTM Eagles visit the Ontario Soccer Centre. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m. and will be streamed live on the Hawks Sports Network.