VAUGHAN, Ont – The top scorer's in the OCAA added to their season totals Wednesday evening as the No. 1 Humber Hawks men's soccer (4-0, 1st Central) team held on to defeat the UTM Eagles (0-2-1, 5th Central) 2-1 in the 2017 home opener.
The Eagles were able to tie the match four minutes later after some miscommunication in the Humber half allowed Sanjar Kairosh to score his first goal of the season.
The Hawks were able to respond in the 30th minute when a long cross from Hoilett allowed Tomas Balicki to head a perfect pass for Baldassarre to tap past Eagles keeper Aaron Peters.
- Baldassarre has recorded two game-winners this season, both coming against UTM.
- National champion Eugenio Garro earned the victory for the Hawks
- Humber sweeps the season series against UTM, outscoring the Eagles 5-2.
- The Eagles have been the only team to score against the Hawks this season.
- Hoilett's goal was the 19th of his career, tying Hall of Famer Andrew DaSilva for sixth all-time on Humber's career scoring list.
- Baldassarre, second in the league in scoring this season, now has 16 goals for his career and sits eighth all-time on Humber's scoring list.
- Humber extends its OCAA regular season unbeaten to 38 consecutive matches, dating back to September 2013. Over that span, the Hawks are 35-0-3.
Humber hits the road for a showdown against No. 14 George Brown (2-0-1, 2nd Central) on September 27. Game time is set for 9 p.m.