Third-year forward Kenny Ejim tied his career-high with 27 points in the 108-60 win over Conestoga Sunday afternoon.
KITCHENER, Ont -- The Humber men's basketball team (1-0, 1st OCAA West) won its 45th season opener Sunday afternoon, cruising to a 108-60 win over the Conestoga Condors (0-2, 11 OCAA West). Kenny Ejim led the Hawks with 27 points, adding eight rebounds and four assists.
Curwin Elvis opened the scoring for the Hawks, connecting on a pass from Stefan Grujic, but the Condors were able to take advantage in the first three minutes, jumping out to a 5-2 lead. Humber was able to respond with a 14-3 run to end the first quarter, taking the lead it would not relinquish for the rest of the game.
A few second-half adjustments saw the Condors offence score 23 points in the third, on 9-13 (69.2 percent) shooting from the floor. Ejim scored nine of his 23 points in the quarter, and the Hawks led 78-49 after 30 minutes of action.
In the final frame, Humber's defence held Conestoga to 28.6 percent shooting from the floor, outscoring the Condors 30-11 en route to the 108-60 victory.
Humber reached the 100-point mark for the third time under second-year head coach Patrick Au.
- Humber improves to 26-3 all-time against Conestoga.
- C.J. Bennett finished with a career-high six assists.
- Humber played all 12 players that dressed, and all 12 scored at least four points.
- The 55 bench points marked the highest total in the Patrick Au era.
- Fowzi Mohamoud reached double-digits in his first career OCAA action.
Humber will head to Lambton on Oct. 28 and St. Clair on Oct. 29.