Preview by: Tyler Milton
ETOBICOKE, Ont: Heading into the most important weekend of their season, the Hawks return to action Friday as they open up the OCAA Championship with the reigning OCAA champions, Durham College. Humber comes into action 16-8 (3rd OCAA) against Durham Lords (17-7, 2nd OCAA). This season, Humber and Durham split their four game set two apiece.
The Match Up
Humber Hawks at Durham Lords
October 20th, 2017
Brampton Fairgrounds, Brampton
Last time out vs Durham
In their last meeting, Humber was looking to bounce back and even the season series at two, Humber turned to ace Myranda Pierson to the rubber. Pierson would get through the first, three up, three down before facing some trouble in the second, where she would allow three runs to allow Durham to jump out to a 3-0 lead. From there, the veteran right-hander would settle in and hold the Hawks in the game. Pierson would finish what she started, going all seven innings, allowing just those three runs (none earned), on six hits, two walks and four punch outs.
After a disappointing game one, the Hawks offence would be again, quiet through the first four frames. In the fifth, Bonnie Gillingham would reach on an error before the former Durham Lord, Sam MacCallum would step up to the plate to launch a deep home run into the night to get the Hawks to a 3-2 ball game. In the sixth, three straight doubles - Aaliyah Davidson, Elisa Gregoris, and Bonnie Gillingham - and a single by Emily Erskine would plate three runs for Humber to take a 5-3 lead into the seventh, where Pierson would shut the door and secure the victory for the Hawks.
- Durham comes into the matchup 6-4 in their last 10 games.
- The Lords have plated 159 runs (6.6/game), and allowed 107 runs (4.45/game) this seaso
- Notable players for the Lords: second-year SS – Melissa McKnight (.422 AVG, 1 HR, 13 RBIs), second-year 2B – Jaimie Clarke (.299 AVG, 1 HR, 17 RBIs), third-year P – Ashley Black (3.20 ERA, 76 2/3 IP, 8 CG), first-year P – Emily Glendinning (2.48 ERA, 36 2/3 IP, 34 K), first-year SS/P – Emily Hill (.343 AVG, 1 HR, 17 RBIs, 3.25 ERA, 47 1/3 IP)
- Hawks are 6-4 in their last 10 games
- Humber has scored 173 runs (7.2/game) and allowed 76 runs (3.16/game) through their 24 games this season.
- Aaliyah Davidson led the OCAA in homeruns (3) and RBIs (28)
- Myranda Pierson led the OCAA in ERA (1.74) among qualified pitchers
After their matchup with the Lords, the Hawks will play either St. Clair or Mohawk depending on the result of their matchup with Durham. A win sees Humber play at 5:00pm, a loss will see them play at 3:00pm
2017 OCAA Women's Softball Championships
Humber is the proud host of the 2017 championship tournament. The event will take place on Friday & Saturday, October 20 & 21/17 (with Sunday as a rain day), and will be held at the Brampton Fairgrounds Field.
All games will be streamed live on HSN1:
Notable Social Media Sites:
Humber Athletics Website:
Humber Women's Softball Website: