By: Tyler Milton
ETOBICOKE, Ont: Coming off an offensive explosion against Seneca on Tuesday evening, Humber returns home to start their last home stand before playoffs against the defending OCAA champions, Durham Lords. Humber (12-6, 3rd OCAA), takes on a Durham squad (15-3, 2nd OCAA), as Humber looks to win the season series with Durham. This double header could be a precursor to a potential first round matchup at the OCAA Championship coming up next week.
The Match Up
Durham Lords at Humber Hawks
October 12th, 2017
6:00 pm & 8:00 pm
Brampton Fairgrounds, Brampton
Last time out vs Durham
In their last meeting, it was a marathon. Humber turned to ace Myranda Pierson to the rubber, to right the ship and get the Hawks a split of their double header. Pierson battled the tough Durham lineup as she got out of a few jams early to preserve the 5-2 lead over the first four innings. In the fifth Jheri Jamieson came in to hold the tie at five through five innings. In the sixth inning, former Durham Lord Samantha MacCallum came in to hold the game close. MacCallum held the Lords to two hits over her 2 2/3 innings of work. Bree Donaldson entered the game in the ninth inning in a jam and got out of it with the game still tied. Donaldson ended up picking up the win for her 1 2/3 innings of work at the end of the 11 inning marathon.
The bats were active and hot throughout the 11 inning contest. Hawks table setter, Jenna Hillman led the charge going 3-6 with four RBIs and an inside the park homerun in the eighth inning. Other notables, Hillary Redrup had a triple and two RBIs, Elisa Gregoris had a triple and three RBIs, Bonnie Gillingham had three singles and two RBIs. Aaliyah Davidson, Terah Camilleri, Kyra Gay all picked up RBIs in the winning effort. Hawks win 15-14 in 11 innings.
- Durham comes into the matchup 8-2 away from home this season.
- The Lords are averaging just under seven and a half runs per game offensively, while only allowing just over three runs per game this season.
- Notable players for the Lords: second-year SS – Melissa McKnight (.443 AVG, 7 XB, 10 RBIs), second-year 2B – Jaimie Clarke (.317 AVG, 1 HR, 15 RBIs), third-year P – Ashley Black (2.93 ERA, 55 IP, 6 CG), first-year P – Emily Glendinning (1.66 ERA, 33 2/3 IP, 32 K)
- Humber is 4-2 at home this season
- At home, the Hawks are hitting .340 with 16 extra base hits in six games this season
- Pitching at home is a comfort for Humber, with a 2.48 ERA over those six games this season
Following the matchup on Thursday, the Hawks are home to continue their six game home stand as they take on Conestoga College on Saturday afternoon. The games will be held at the Brampton Fairgrounds with first pitches slated for 1:00pm and 3:00pm.
2017 OCAA Women's Softball Championships
Humber is the proud host of the 2017 championship tournament. The event will take place on Friday & Saturday, October 20 & 21/17 (with Sunday as a rain day), and will be held at the Brampton Fairgrounds Field.
All games will be streamed live on HSN1:
Notable Social Media Sites:
Humber Athletics Website:
Humber Women's Softball Website: