Preview by: Tyler Milton
ETOBICOKE, Ont: Coming off the excitement of their marathon double header with Durham, the Hawks return to action Sunday as they travel to Hamilton for a matchup with Mohawk College. Humber comes into action 7-3 (3rd OCAA) against the Mohawk Mountaineers (2-6, 5th OCAA). Last season, the Hawks won their season series 3-1 with the Mountaineers.
The Match Up
Humber Hawks at Mohawk Mountaineers
September 24th, 2017
12:00 pm & 2:00 pm
Mohawk Sports Park, Hamilton
Last time out vs Mohawk
In their last meeting, Humber was coming off a thrashing of Mohawk winning 16-3 in five innings. The Hawks in this matchup would be looking for the series sweep and get back to .500 before the calendar flipped to October. In hopes of completing the four game sweep, Humber sent Rachel Matheson-Green to toe the rubber. Matheson-Green would be dominant for the Hawks, allowing three runs on five hits over her six innings of work. Unfortunately, the Humber offense would go silent in this one and only muster up four hits in the effort. Matheson-Green would take her first loss of the season as the Hawks lose 3-0. On a positive note, third baseman, Bonnie Gillingham, surpassing Humber Softball Alumni Natalie Stoberman for the all-time hits leader (75) with her double in the first inning.
- A large recruiting class sees 11 first-year players on the Mohawk roster
- The Mountaineers are averaging just over five runs per game offensively, and allowing eight and a half runs per game over their first eight contests.
- Notable players for the Mohawk (stats from 2016): third-year IF – Sarah Bell (.407 AVG, 1 HR, 14 SB), fifth-year P - Aimee Leduc (79 IP, 4.78 ERA, .362 AVG, .456 OBP),
- Aimee Leduc was OCAA Softball Athlete of the week in the 2016 campaign.
- Hawks are 12-1 over the past four seasons against the Mohawk
- At Mohawk Sports Park, the Hawks are 5-1 over the past four seasons
- The 11 inning contest between Humber and Durham on Thursday was the longest game since 2015 in which Humber beat Durham, at Durham Field 13-12 in 11 innings.
- OCAA Offensive Leaderboards: Elisa Gregoris is tied for first with six extra base hits, Aaliyah Davidson is tied for second in RBIs with 10, Jenna Hillman is second in hits with 16
- OCAA Pitching Leaderboards: Rachel Matheson-Green is first among qualified pitchers in ERA at 1.30, Myrand Pierson is eighth on the ERA list with a 2.49 mark, Bree Donaldson, Samantha MacCallum and Jheri Jamieson are tied for first in saves with one a piece.
Following this Sunday's contests, the Hawks travel to East to play Fanshawe College on Saturday, in double-header action. The games will be held at Dan Pulham Field in London, with first pitches slated to be under the lights at 6:00pm and 8:00pm.
2017 OCAA Women's Softball Championships
Humber is the proud host of the 2017 championship tournament. The event will take place on Friday & Saturday, October 20 & 21/17 (with Sunday as a rain day), and will be held at the Brampton Fairgrounds Field.
All games will be streamed live on HSN1:
Notable Social Media Sites:
Humber Athletics Website:
Humber Women's Softball Website: