Preview by: Tyler Milton
ETOBICOKE, Ont: After a split on the weekend, the Hawks return to action Thursday as they travel to Oshawa for a mid-week matchup with Durham College. Humber comes into action 6-2 (2nd OCAA) against the reigning OCAA gold medalist Durham Lords (4-2, 3rd OCAA). Last season, the Hawks split their season series with the Lords, which included three one-run games.
The Match Up
Humber Hawks at Durham Lords
September 21st, 2017
6:00 pm & 8:00 pm
Durham Field, Oshawa
Last time out vs Durham
In their last meeting, Humber was trying to secure a series split with the Lords. With that in mind the Hawks sent Rachel Matheson-Green to the rubber to follow up a great performance by Myranda Pierson in the previous game. Matheson-Green would stifle the Lords bats early through her first four frames. In the bottom of the fourth, the Hawks broke the scoreless tie with Jenna Hillman scoring on a sacrifice fly deep to centre by Bonnie Gillingham to give Humber a 1-0 advantage heading to the top of the fifth. The one run scored in the fifth would be all Matheson-Green would need in this game as she would finish out the contest and secure the series split with the Lords. The complete game shut-out, was the first of Matheson-Green's career.
- On Friday, first-year pitcher Emily Glendinning was the first Durham pitcher since 2009 to throw a perfect game (10-0 over Seneca in six innings)
- The Lords are averaging five runs per game and allowing just over one and a half runs per game over their first six games.
- Notable players for the Lords (stats from 2016): second-year 2B – Jaimie Clarke (.349 AVG, 1 HR, 12 RBIs), second-year 1B – Sarah Seifried (.370 AVG, 14 RBIs, 10 runs), third-year 1B/P – Ashley Black (70 1/3 IP, 2.29 ERA, 8-4 record)
- Six first-year players coming on-board for the Lords out of their 17 player roster
- Durham hasn't lost at home in their previous six games at Durham Field and were 10-2 at home last season
- 1B/P Samantha MacCallum returns to her old stomping grounds to play her former team (Durham) for the first time
- Hawks are 7-5 over the past four seasons against the Lords
- At Durham Field, the Hawks are 3-4 over the past four seasons
- Elisa Gregoris' big weekend helps push her average up to .429 through her first five games
- Rachel Matheson-Green continues to dazzle with an astonishing 0.64 ERA in 22 IP so far this season
Following the matchup on Thursday, the Hawks travel to Hamilton to play Mohawk College on Sunday, in double-header action. The games will be held at Mohawk Sports Park in Hamilton, with first pitches slated for 12:00pm and 2:00pm.
2017 OCAA Women's Softball Championships
Humber is the proud host of the 2017 championship tournament. The event will take place on Friday & Saturday, October 20 & 21/17 (with Sunday as a rain day), and will be held at the Brampton Fairgrounds Field.
All games will be streamed live on HSN1:
Notable Social Media Sites:
Humber Athletics Website:
Humber Women's Softball Website: