ETOBICOKE, ON: Coming off the excitement of opening day, the Humber Women's Softball team travels to Kitchener to take on the Conestoga Condors in OCAA action Wednesday evening. Last season in OCAA play, the Hawks went 3-1 against the Condors in their four matchups.
THE MATCH UP
Humber Hawks at Conestoga Condors
September 13th, 2017
6:00 pm & 8:00 pm
Riverside Park, Kitchener
LAST TIME OUT VS CONESTOGA
In their last meeting, the Condors came to visit the Hawks at Concord Regional Park in Thornhill, ON. The Condors came out swinging early plating a run in the first inning off Hawks right-hander Rachel Matheson-Green. In the third inning, the Hawks would take flight scoring two on an Elisa Gregoris single and took the lead into the middle innings. Matheson-Green returned to the rubber and the Condors Brittany Bell responded by belting her second homerun of the day and ultimately gave the Condors a 5-2 lead after five innings. Hawks veteran, catcher Terah Camilleri sparked the offense in the sixth belting her seventh career home-run. Later in the sixth, hits from Meaghan Murphy, Jacklyn Yewchyn and Bonnie Gillingham helped bring the Hawks to tie the game at five. In a tie ball game, Manager Duaine Bowles sent Briana Donaldson to the rubber to hold the Condors offense as she threw two innings, allowing a hit and this set the stage for some late game heroics. Jacklyn Yewchyn proceeded to hit a walk-off single scoring Terah Camilleri giving the Hawks a very important victory in a tight OCAA race to the play-offs.
- Conestoga comes into the matchup 1-3 on the 2017 OCAA campaign after dropping both to St. Clair College and splitting the double header with Mohawk Mountaineers.
- The Condors average 6.5 runs per game and allowed 8.5 runs per game over their first four games.
- Notable players for the Condors: fifth-year, 2B - Brittany Bell (.500 AVG, 4 HR, 29 RBIs last season), second-year, P – Mary Kate Allen (35 IP, 2.80 ERA, 3 CG), third-year, P - Jensen Chapman (97 2/3 IP, 4.52 ERA, 7 CG)
- Nine first-year players coming on-board for the Condors out of their 20 player roster
- Hawks are 11-3 over the past four seasons against the Condors
- Hawks second-year SS has five hits in her six at-bats so far this season (.833 Batting average.)
- As a team the Hawks are batting .392 on the season with an impressive seven stolen bases.
- Hawks pitchers have been dominant so far with a 0.64 ERA over their 14 innings of work.
Following the mid-week matchup on Wednesday, the Hawks are home to Fanshawe and St. Clair on the weekend. Fanshawe comes to town Saturday, while on Sunday St. Clair visits the Hawks, both in double-header action. The games will be held at Brampton Fairgrounds with first pitches slated on both days for 1:00 pm and 3:00 pm.
2017 OCAA WOMEN'S SOFTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS
Humber is the proud host of the 2017 championship tournament. The event will take place on Friday & Saturday, October 20 & 21/17 (with Sunday as a rain day), and will be held at the Brampton Fairgrounds Field.
All games will be streamed live on HSN1:
NOTABLE SOCIAL MEDIA SITES:
Humber Athletics Website:
Humber Women's Softball Website: