ETOBICOKE, Ont -- The Humber baseball program is pleased to announce the signing of two additional recruits for the upcoming 2018 varsity season, announced head coach Matt Ferreira.
Cameron Wilcox and Jaykob Turner will be joining the Hawks when training camp begins August 20 at Connorvale Park.
Here's a look at the newest Humber Hawks:
Cameron WILCOX (INF, 6-0, 220, Mississauga, ON)
Fitness and Health Promotion, Humber College
- Has been playing competitive baseball for 14 years.
- Plays for the Mississauga North Tigers, winning a national championship representing Ontario in 2015.
- A graduate from St. Marcellinus, Wilcox was named team MVP in 2017 and was the Louisville Slugger recipient in 2018.
- Wilcox on choosing Humber College: "I chose Humber College because it offers the program I want and features a very strong baseball program. I'm looking forward to developing my baseball skills under this coaching staff."
- Coach Ferreira on Wilcox: "Cameron comes in as a prototypical middle of the order bat. He's a big, strong athlete who we are excited to see develop in our program. He consistently has good at-bats and doesn't get cheated at the plate. Defensively, he will add to our versatility as he's able to play both corner infield positions and has also spent time behind the plate. The difference maker will be the bat, and we're excited to see how things play out. His hard-working, no-nonsense attitude will translate to the college level."
Jaykob TURNER (INF, 6-0, 192, Mississauga, ON)
Police Foundations, Humber College
- Has been playing baseball for 15 years and can play every infield position, including pitcher.
- Competing with the Mississauga Southwest Twins, Turner is teammates with Humber baseball legend James Byrnes.
- With the Twins, Turner owns a 10.1 K/9 through 7.1 innings of work. In 66 at-bats, he has recorded 17 hits and three stolen bases.
- Turner on choosing Humber College: "I chose Humber College because of their reputation for having exceptional academic and athletic programs. The baseball team is made of top-tier talent, and I have always wanted to play for a strong college team. I am very honoured to have the chance to play for such an organization."
- Coach Ferreira on Turner: "Jaykob is an intriguing athlete that we're bringing into the fold this Fall. He's another physically gifted athlete that will be joining the Hawk family. He has the drive and willingness to do what it takes to help a good team win both on and off the field. As a two-way player vying for innings on the mound and as well as at-bats, training camp will be crucial for Jaykob. On the mound, we expect him to compete for innings and to help our staff. He also has the ability to play all over the diamond and projects to be a good collegiate hitter."
Humber baseball tryouts begin August 20, and all full-time Humber and UGH students are welcome to attend. Any student wishing to attend tryouts are encouraged to fill out the online Prospective Athlete Form.