Preview by: Tyler Milton
ETOBICOKE, Ont: On Sunday, the Humber men's baseball team take on George Brown College to honour the school's 50th anniversary. The Hawks are coming off a great weekend in which saw them win three out of four games (1-1 with St. Clair, 2-0 with Fanshawe) and are looking to continue the momentum into this matchup. Last season, the Hawks went 4-0 against the Huskies, with one game going extra innings.
The Match Up
George Brown Huskies at Humber Hawks
September 24th, 2017
1:00 pm & 3:30 pm
Connorvale Park, Etobicoke
Last time out vs George Brown
In their last meeting, Humber was coming off a spectacular performance by Daniel Marquez who no-hit the Huskies over his seven innings of work. Head Coach Denny Berni turned to right-hander Francis Toribio to start on the mound for the Hawks. Toribio was making his first start of the season and was superb tossing five innings, allowing two runs on five hits with seven strikeouts. In the sixth, Matt Stoddart came in for his first appearances of the season. Stoddart held the Huskies to one hit over his two innings of work with three strikeouts to silence the George Brown bats. Offensively, the Hawks were active early and often scoring all nine of their runs in the first four frames. Table setter, Liam Sutherland, got the Hawks going as he was 2-3 on the night with two runs scored. As well, outfielders Kenneth Hahnfeld and Dawson Fascia, along with infielder Stephen Andreopoulos all had two hits to add to the Hawks attack. Runs were scored by Liam Sutherland (2), Aaron Arbic-Cohen (2), Stephen Andreopoulos (2), Tyler Milton, Kenneth Hahnfeld, and Mitchell Wilbur.
Scouting George Brown
- George Brown comes into the matchup 1-5, scoring 33 runs and allowing 59 runs in their games so far in the season.
- This season, the Saints have 11 new players on their 19 man roster
- Notable returning standouts include (Stats from 2016): third-year 3B – Curtis Cobean (.474 AVG, 1 HR, 12 RBIs), second-year DH – Whitney MacKenzie (.278 AVG, .316 OBP), second-year IF – Gregory Hall (.250 AVG, .325 OBP, 7 RBIs)
- Hawks are 16-0 all-time against George Brown
- Humber has scored 170 (an average of 10.6 per game) over their 16 games, and allowed 21 (an average of 1.31 per game) over those games
- Liam Sutherland and Keegan Murphy continue to be hot offensively with a .444 and .375 average, respectively.
- Brendan Lyons has been dominant on the bump this season, with a 1.80 ERA over his 11 2/3 innings this year.
After their matchup with the George Brown, the Hawks set their sights on the OCAA silver medalist Fanshawe Falcons as they travel to London for a double header. First pitch tentatively set for 12:00 pm and 2:30 pm that weekend. Games will be played at Dan Pulham Field.
Notable Social Media Sites:
Humber Athletics Website:
Humber Men's Baseball Website: