COMMUNITY SERVICE PROGRAM
The Hawks Have Heart Community Service Program is a program to actively involve Varsity student-athletes in various extra-curricular volunteer activities that aim to provide a positive impact on the community, encourage citizenship, complement in-class learning and raise awareness on important social awareness issues within our city. A number of on-campus and off-campus opportunities will be promoted throughout the school year. Hours are accumulated over the duration of one’s education at Humber/Guelph-Humber, with the emphasis being on a variety of learning opportunities that complement in-class learning experiences. Certificates of Participation, Involvement, or Leadership will be distributed to those who get involved and accumulate the required amount of hours.
PROCESS: The Athletic Department strong encourages each athlete or team to commit to a minimum of one on-campus or off-campus activity throughout the course of the academic year. Be sure to read the Hawk Talk Newsletter for volunteer opportunities. Sign-up for community activities will occur in the Varsity Academic Centre with the Varsity Academic Advisor and a reflection piece is required to be completed online at the end of the activity. Events will be validated through the supervisor.
BRONZE–Receive a Certificate of Participation for completing 1–5 hr’s of community service
(Participation–an act or instance/attempt of participating)
SILVER–Receive a Letter of Involvement for completing 6–10 hr’s of community service
(Involvement–to engage/employ or be included in an activity)
GOLD–RECEIVE A LETTER OF INVOLVEMENT FOR COMPLETING 11–15 HR’S OF COMMUNITY SERVICE
PLATINUM–Receive a Letter of Leadership for completing 15+ hr’s of community service with a leadership component, as well as nomination for the Hawks Have Heart Community Service Award
(Leadership–an act or instance of leading; providing guidance or direction)
OPPORTUNITIES TO GET INVOLVED IN:
• Become a Pan Am Games volunteer! Take your love of sports and apply it to next summer’s Pan Am Games. Apply at toronto2015.org/volunteer. Students who volunteer for the Games now receive OSAP interest and payment-free grace period extensions and reduced pre-study contributions. For more information about this program, please visit the Province of Ontario website
See more at: toronto2015.org/volunteer#sthash.n6zQg0RV.dpuf
• Residence Move-In–Sun, Aug. 24th—we are looking for volunteers to help out from 7:45 a.m.–12 p.m. or 11:45 a.m.–
4 p.m. at the North and Lakeshore campuses.
• Girl’s Physical Activity Project–off-campus opportunity from January–April
• CICE Physical Activity Project–on-campus opportunity from January–April
• Christmas Toy Drive
• Salvation Army
• Habitat for Humanity
• Right To Play 12-hour Activity Challenge
* A monthly 'Hawks Talk' newsletter comes out every month outlining academic and volunteer information - please click here for full archive.